Saturday, July 10, 2021

Glory Story

 "Be more concerned for God's glory than your relief."

Peanut has one of the most joyful spirits of anyone I know.
She's a glass half full. All the time.
Peanut however did inherit her mother's "Norman Rockwell complex."
You see we both picture how a scenario is going to play out and then end up disappointed when it doesn't go exactly picture perfect.
This summer we've been working our way through this book "What to Do When You Grumble Too Much."
We've been working on how we respond when Plan A doesn't go well.
Before we begin a craft, activity, game, we talk about - "What can do we if we have a hard time following the craft directions?" "What can we do if the tower falls down?" "What should you do if you are losing the game?"
We discuss our Plan B before we ever execute Plan A.
Like many of the emotional health activities I do with Peanut, this one has been soul filling for me as well.
I'm thinking through my Plan B (and let's be honest a few more letters down the alphabet) and reassuring myself that even if this falls apart, I'll be okay.
I read a story this week about a mother whose child has a terminal illness.
When asked if she prays for a cure, she responded
"Of course. I pray for a cure - or something greater."
She refers to this story of theirs as a "glory story" even though there is still no cure.
I think we get so focused on Plan A , a cure, a fix, an end, that we forget there could be something greater.
A glory story.
Mama Warriors, one of the most important things we can do for our own, and our kids, emotional health is to make room in life for Plan B, C, and even Z.
Not only does this teach our kids grit and resilience (two skills sorely lacking in many of today's youth), but it also teaches our kids that there is a glory story possible.
Even if the craft doesn't look like the picture on the box, I can be proud of my creativity and effort and how I made it my own.
Even if the tower collapses before I get Rapunzel in the top, I can learn from what didn't work and be a better builder next time.
Even if I lost the game, I can be thankful for the time my family had to gather to play.
Even if Plan A isn't the story, my story can be a glory story.
May be an illustration of standing and text that says 'What to Do When You GRUMBLE TOO MUCH A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Negativity'

No comments:

Post a Comment