Thursday, December 14, 2023

Norman Rockwell Tree

"Our assignment is not fruitfulness but faithfulness.....Our goal is not to bear fruit. Our goal is to stay attached."

Cutting down the Christmas Tree is one of my favorite traditions. In typical Tkill fashion, it often looks WAY more Norman Rockwell in my head and very The Middle in person. I considered walking home solo from the tree farm this year - it went that well. 

If you've never cut down your own tree, when you bring it home you have to make a fresh cut. Then immediately get it into a stand and water it. Or the sap seals the trunk and the tree won't drink. 

A healthy tree, just like a newborn, starts out very thirsty. As the tree settles into the house it begins to drink less water but still requires daily watering. 

So it seems for Christmas my favorite tradition is getting a fourth child. 

I start my day watering the tree. I turn the lights on. I sip my caffeine by little multi colored lights. I water the tree at lunch time. Together, we watch a Hallmark movie.  I water the tree again before I go to bed. I turn the tree lights off, tell the tree goodnight. 

Much like most of motherhood, it's a thankless job. I do all the work of the tree. 

My people occasionally look at the tree. 

Peanut moves the ornaments around the tree. 

Gifts will magically appear under the tree in a few weeks. 

It's a typical glitter and glue conundrum for sure. 

The behind the scenes magic that it takes to make Christmas happen. 

I feel like a lot of times the thing I'm frustrated with is that I can't see fruit from my efforts. 

I was reminded this morning as I poured water into my thirsty tree........ 

I am not called to see fruit. 

I am called to remain attached to the vine. 

I am not called to be thanked for planting seeds. 

I am called to remain faithful. 

Often I think in motherhood we get busy trying to bear fruit and forget to stay attached. 

Mama Warriors, in this busy season I challenge you to CHOOSE to stay attached. 

Sip the caffeine and read the advent devotions. 

Make the list of prayers. 

Tune into the tugs. 

Trust that watering is enough. 

That fruit will come.

No comments:

Post a Comment