Sunday, January 24, 2021

New Car

 "In Christ we are not trying to discover who we are, we know who we are."


Yesterday as Peanut and I were leaving the park,  we could not find new car. 

You see new car and I have only been a team 24 days. In that 24 days, I've driven it less than five times. 

Not enough to name it, apparently not enough to recognize it in a parking lot. 




Unlike the old cars that preceded her, new car looks like every other car in the parking lot. 

She has no identifiable features. 

We have no visible history. 

Looking for new car in the parking lot made me think about looking in the mirror. 

I've been through a spiritual battle the last few years. I often don't recognize myself. Somewhere between the gastro madness and turning 40, I wandered through what felt like continual hot lava until I landed somewhere new. 

This past week I listened to a sermon series that talked about spiritual warfare is fought between your ears. 

Let that sink in a bit. 

The preacher asserted that while tweens/teens are supposed to be "finding themselves," one of the real hurdles in spiritual warfare is that adults are not. 

We are supposed to know WHO we are. 

We are supposed to know WHOSE we are. 

I've been soaking on that this week. Feeling somewhat insulted - like maybe I was repeating my teen years "finding myself" again. 

As I was wandering that parking lot, I realized that it wasn't that I didn't know WHO I was. Or WHOSE I was. 

It was that I didn't realize WHO I was or WHOSE I was until I hit my 40s. 

"Spiritual Warfare is not fought with emotions in the moment, but it is fought with a healthy dose of truth ALL THE TIME."

It was that I hadn't learned to embrace truth. 

I was busy trying to DO the things. 

Instead of BE the things. 

To hear truth, you have to be STILL

Mama WarriorsI firmly believe that spiritual warfare begins in the way we speak to ourselves. 

Maybe you are wandering through life thinking you are a new car. Fitting in. Looking like everyone else. Trying to blend. 

You are not a new car. 

You are vintage car. 

You have history. 

You know WHO you are. 

You know WHOSE you are. 

You just have to BE STILL and speak truth to yourself. 





No comments:

Post a Comment