Saturday, February 19, 2022

Laundry Love

 "In general God guides and directs his people by affording them, in answer to prayer, the light of his Holy Spirit , which enables them to understand and to love the Scriptures. The Word of God is not to be used as a lottery; nor is it designed to instruct us by shreds and scraps, which detached from their proper places, have no determinative import; but it is to furnish us with just principles, right apprehensions to regulate our judgments and affections and thereby to influence and direct our conduct." John Newton

I recently checked out, and read, this book titled Laundry Love.
It had been raved about on a reader blog that I very much respect. I don't love everything she recommends but it's a solid source of my "to read" list.
This was the sole book I took to co-op recently. I settled in with my cherry coke and name brand pretzels (the Dollar General only had that to offer.....) and opened to chapter 1.
I had anticipated this would be a book about how to love the mundane - how to lean in and enjoy all the small. The laundry. The dishes. The meal making. All the things.
A metaphor.
It was not.
It is a book about HOW to wash your clothes.
Written by someone who LOVES laundry.
I felt totally bamboozled. I was now stuck at classes for two hours with only this instruction manual on how to sort and wash my clothes. Which I've been doing for over 30 years now.
With nothing else to do, I read the book. Cover to cover (well I skimmed that chapter on ironing because please....).
I found myself taking notes. I gleaned several tips that have already saved me time, water, and money.
Crazy.
I've realized this is a recurring theme in my life.
I think things will be one way.
They are not that way (cue my Norman Rockwell complex).
I am disappointed.
Or critical.
Or both.
I could make a LONG list of things that have not gone the way I thought they would.
Marriage. Parenting. Home Ownership. Adulting. Dog parenting.
All the things are much different than any book or wisdom I've received.
I've found there to be a great learning curve across the board.
I often find myself in situations where I feel like "this is not my thing" and I want to retreat.
When I force myself to STAY, I always learn something.
I'm reading this book on finding God's will. I've been fascinated at this new take the author presents that I have not heard before.
What if (aside from morally wrong or unjust options) all choices were within God's will for you?
What if both doors were opened by God?
What if it's not a stressful which one do I pick scenario but rather an opportunity for him to bless your service regardless of which door you walk through?
What if options in life aren't some test you are worried about failing?
Mama Warriors, as seasons begin to shift soon and we all look forward to Lent and the coming of spring, doors are opening.
Sometimes the doors look like Laundry Love books. We pick them, we walk through and we realize "this is not what I thought it was."
What if finished the book anyway? What if we trusted our choices and followed through.
What if thought that all paths could be blessed by Him?
May be an image of book and text

No comments:

Post a Comment