Friday, April 28, 2023

Weeds

 "It is the narrowness of the riverbanks, after all, that gives strength to the river."

13 days ago I came down with what I thought was the worst stomach virus I had ever encountered. The symptoms were similar to others I know that have had this latest strand. It stayed 48 hours and then the worst seemed to subside. Only to come back with a fuller vengeance 3 days later. Enough to warrant a visit to the ER.
After labs and scans, it was determined that I have some infection and it's taken root in my intestines. Set up shop.
In 13 days I've survived on gatorade, toast and rice. I've lost 10 pounds.
For those who walked gastro with me originally, it's eerily reminiscent.
Step one is two intense antibiotics to kill ALL the things. We know what antibiotics do to the gut right?
This was step one last time too.
As they took me to have a CT scan in the ER (my first ride on a stretcher), I prayed "Please let the tests show SOMETHING."
If you walked gastro with me the first time, you'll remember all my tests were fine. I was literally wasting away but on paper perfectly healthy.
As the doctor explained my high white blood cell count, the inflammation, it was hard to remember that this is an answered prayer.
Often I think our prayers are answered in ways we don't expect or want.
I was sure my issue was my appendix. Dr. Google said so.
I was thinking this week how I'd rather have anything else than stomach stuff. Stomach stuff takes me on an emotional rollercoaster that isn't good for me.
These meds give me insomnia. A rash. I've spent years working on my sleep. I was finally sleeping more often than not.
Stomach stuff is my weakness.
As I've endured the last 6 days of meds, I've been thinking how I always seem to be hit at the same spot.
Physically. Emotionally. Spiritually.
Our weaknesses make us vulnerable.
I think they are supposed to BUT we are supposed to ask for help carrying them.
These spots we continue to be under attack in are made to grow us stronger.
Mama Warriors, in my make shift extended driveway right now there is a dandelion growing heartily amongst the gravel.
Dandelions represent a rebirth. A return to life. Just like us.
I looked at this little dandelion growing strongly amiss the hard. And thought, I can grow too in the hard roughness around me.
As you see this flowers, pick one this week and put it somewhere you can see it.
Remind yourself that you, too, can be strong and grow amongst the gravel.
With His help.
May be an image of coltsfoot

No comments:

Post a Comment