Sunday, May 14, 2023

Mother's Day

 "I don't have to chase extraordinary moments to find happiness – it's right in front of me if I'm paying attention and practicing gratitude." Brene Brown

I attended a church bible study recently where the teacher asked everyone to share an "unpopular opinion." Essentially something you don't love that the rest of the world seems to.
My unpopular opinion for today.
I don't like Mother's Day.
Mother's Day always falls in "May-cember." When the calendar is already crazy full. When I'm barely hanging on - just trying to get to summer.
It also always falls within a week of my birthday.
So, not once, but twice in the same week I gear up to be "celebrated."
It's very important to SD every holiday that I feel celebrated.
The challenging part is that in trying to create a special day -I inevitably end up disappointed. And usually stressed.
I have kids who want to know what they "have" to show up for.
Every year I say the same thing. I don't want to eat meals with people who don't want to eat meals with me. I don't want to have awkward moments while I wait for people to write in a card their name. I don't want to open gifts that make it abundantly clear that my people don't know me or pay attention.
I don't want to define my mothering by this day in May.
Because if I did, my ratings score would be REALLY low.
I want to remember that my mothering is defined by ........
A Peanut who climbs in bed to read with me every night just because she wants to be close to me.
A kid who brings me a special treat when I'm sick because I've modeled we think of others.
A kid who shows up BIG for her brother's graduation even if the setting is hard for her.
A husband who stays home to take care of me when I'm sick even though I know he thinks the building is falling apart without him.
I don't want the murkiness of one day to overshadow the beautiful in the plain and ordinary.
Mama Warriors, today is so hard for so many.
Let's remember those who wake up today without their own mother. "Grant them comfort and hope in Christ's resurrection."
Let's remember those who ache to be a mother. "Grant them faith and hope."
Let's remember those who prodigal children. "Grant them strength and wisdom."
Let's remember those who mother through being an aunt, a bonus mom. "Grant them joy and appreciation of others."
Let's remember it's okay to skip the holiday and just celebrate the plain and ordinary.
May be an image of 4 people and text

No comments:

Post a Comment