Sunday, September 5, 2021

Puppy Biting

 "We're all chasing joy. Some joy comes when you least expect it. And some joy comes because you set yourself up for it."

Every morning I let Mo Trouble out of his crate and I literally trip over him trying to get the door open to take him out.
When we get outside, I've learned that he will not go to the bathroom UNTIL I have paid attention to him.
I sit in my blue chair on our deck and he immediately jumps on my knees to say good morning.
Once I've loved on him, talked to him, pet him, THEN he will go to the bathroom.
Together, we sit outside and wait for the sun to rise.
I took this picture of him this week and when I looked it at it on my camera I thought "He looks so little!"
We've had him a full month now and I forget sometimes he's just a puppy.
At the vet, we were told "When he's four months old, that's when you can START training him. If he learns anything before then, it's not solid. Developmentally, 4 months is when he can start making connections that stick."
I've been a tad frustrated with him as he has many very normal puppy behaviors.
This morning, as he had his paws on my knee and was so excited to see me, I reminded myself - he's just a toddler seeking my attention.
He's trying to figure out the rules. Learn the ropes.
I had one of those God wink moments.
My teenagers are trying to figure out the rules. Learn the ropes.
They often look like grown ups. Driving cars. Paying some bills. Holding down jobs. Navigating school. Making decisions.
But they are not grown ups.
They often don't know how to ask for attention in appropriate ways.
They often don't ask for help when they should. When they need it.
They often make messes that they can't clean up on their own.
And all of that is okay.
Just as it's designed to be.
But much like Mo Trouble and his puppy biting, it can be hard to remember that just because we see some behaviors doesn't mean developmentally they are ready for ALL the things.
Mama Warriors, maybe you, like me, want your kids to hold on to their childhood.
Stop rushing to the next stage because we all know it's fleeting and you can't go back.
But maybe you, like me, sometimes get frustrated with the puppy biting behaviors of raising teenagers.
It can be painful and hurtful. An ugly walk.
Sometimes the way they show they love us does not look like the way we want to receive love.
Sometimes the bites leave marks that are hard to forget.
Let's remember that they are not grown ups.
But we are.
May be an image of dog and grass

No comments:

Post a Comment