Monday, June 26, 2023

New Song

 "Life is never made unbearable by circumstances, but only by lack of meaning and purpose." Viktor Franki

I always struggle some with the music worship part of a service. Sometimes I feel like I've attended a concert. Other times in very traditional settings, I feel like the congregation is walking through the motions. I've learned there is no "perfect" approach to the worship segment but rather just being gifted an opportunity to figure out how I best worship in song and be aware that others may feel differently.
Yesterday, the worship team (that's church talk for "band") played a fairly new song. Immediately after that song, they played a song anyone who has ever listened to the FISH in the morning would know.
I was intrigued by the sharp contrast.
New song. Not many people singing.
Old song. So many people singing that the team stopped playing instruments and the worship of the congregation carry.
I've been thinking on this idea that new is .......uncomfortable. And well old, is our comfort zone.
I have these seasons where I'm searching for grounding. And in those seasons, I always find God is persistent. Every sermon I've listened to. Every book I've read. Has circled around the same theme.
We can't let our CIRCUMSTANCES decide our OBEDIENCE.
It's no secret that we have our foot in the door at several local churches but are not fully "joined" at any.
I've been letting our circumstances, the idea that we have a 10 year old in need of community, guide our church decisions.
But these churches we "visit" are comfortable. I get the rhythms and routines. We see familiar faces. They are "old" songs for me.
They have little boxes you can check to honor your obedience. You can wave to folks in the parking lot. You can rock the babies. You can clean the bathrooms. All old songs.
There's no box to check for the things I feel stirring in my heart.
The boxes I feel convicted about, they are new.
And they are going to be uncomfortable, hard conversations.
I also know though that we can't continue to support religious organizations that decide who is welcome at JESUS's table.
I can't sit by as people determine who is worthy of being loved by and serving Jesus.
Peanut learned a song at VBS one year that sang "We won't be quiet."
I feel like we're a community that has become quiet about the big things.
The folks like me who are "froot loops in a cheerio community" - we are letting the hate speak out. We are not speaking out in LOVE.
We are only willing to sing the old songs.
Mama Warriors, it's scary to sing out the new songs loudly. What if the tune is wrong? What if we stumble over the words?
But, what if singing out the new song changes not just you but someone else? What if all you need to do is make it to the first chorus and you won't be alone?
I think if we're paying attention we are all being called to new songs. We grow as people and in our faith through change.
I don't know what my next new song is but I do know that until I sing it, I'm not choosing obedience over circumstances.
And thus there is someone else singing this new song that is all alone. Waiting for me to join in. Somewhere.
May be an image of 2 people, child, people smiling and grass

No comments:

Post a Comment