Monday, September 2, 2024

Clay

"I remember in the nursery school where I worked when I was doing my masters in childhood development. There is a man who would come every week to sculpt in front of the kids. The director said, 'I don't want you to teach sculpting. I just want you to do what you do and love it in front of the children. '

Rogers says the kids used their own clay more innovatively, more creatively and more often than any other time before or after.

"A great gift from any adult to a child, it seems to me, is to love what you do in front of the child," Rogers said."

I've read several books about Mr. Rogers over the last year, and watched two documentaries. 

This piece is still the one that continues to jump out at me. 

The note I made in my journal is "love the clay." I wrote it in the front of my lesson plan binder for the school year. 

This morning I took Peanut to the park. 

We haven't had a solid park day with playground since March. 

I had packed up all of our school stuff with the intention of doing second grade at the park and then having play time. 

I will confess we didn't get much school work done. We worked on something here/there when she took breaks from playing for water. 

I watched as she approached a shy young girl who wanted to play. I heard her tell her "I'll be over here swinging while you get used to me." She gave her space to adjust to the playground, to her. Then she was kind and gentle as they both swang on the playground. 

She came over to me at one point and said "Mommy - her mommy doesn't have anyone to talk to. Maybe you should say hello."

We've had some adjustments here in the last week as we return to having one car and me driving both big kids to all the places. I've been a little worried about how again second grade will take the back burner as I prioritize the Princess's job, the Xman's classes and sports, our commitments. 

As I watched Peanut at the park today, I realized, there will always be time for academics. And in many seasons before we have sprinkled her core learning in here/there. 

Loving the clay in front of her. 

There's a window for that. 

There's a small amount of time when she revolves her world around me. When she's watching me and soaking up how I live my life. 

People first. 

The shy girl at the playground. 

The mom who just dropped her kids off at school for the first time since March whose still unsure about her decision. 

The dad whose kid has less fear than he does. 

People first. 

I sat on the swing to read my new novel. She eventually joined me, excited to read a chapter of her new book too. 

Love the clay in front of them. 

Mama Warriors, today very much feels like Hump Day here. I'm struggling with feeling overwhelmed with our schedule and the drastic changes the last week has brought. 

Perhaps this start of the school year has been rocky for you as well. 

I challenge you to take a moment today to just love the clay in front of them. 

If you aren't making time for what brings you joy, then your kids are missing out on seeing you love the clay. 

Too often I think we PROMOTE what we want from our kids. 

When actually the best way to reach them is to ATTRACT them. 

Love the clay in front of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment