Saturday, September 28, 2024

Connections

 "Connected yet alienated - that is the paradox of our global digital culture. We have access to so many things, yet we are increasingly incapable of seeing those things, or ourselves, in any meaningful context." Skye Jethani, The Divine Commodity

It's no secret that one of my favorite bible studies is the story of Mary leaving Jesus at the temple. Three days.
For 3 days, she walks without realizing she doesn't have her child. Not just any kid, but the son of God.
Anyone who has walked through the middle school years knows that maybe a few days without a surly 12 year old seemed okay.
I'm feeling a whole lot better about the time we lost Xman at the ballfield for 10 minutes.
Whenever I read that passage, I can clearly hear God say "I've got your kids."
I don't have to hold them so tight. I have to let them find their path, wander.
I have to trust that growing up requires some risk.
It requires some uncomfortable stretching for us both.
I have to lean into the stretching, the growing. Not try to shield both of us from it.
I've listened to numerous sermons on that passage.
Not once has any preacher/priest/leader said that to me. Not once.
Each time I listen to a sermon on that passage the "message" is very different. Some assert that this story teaches you that its our job to follow Jesus. Our responsibility to stay close to him. Sometimes a female will share that we aren't perfect mothers. That we make mistake. That there is grace and forgiveness in that.
Regardless, what I clearly hear when I study that passage on my own is never what a sermon is about.
I feel like this is where religion gets tricky.
It's where we tend to say "this means that." The end.
Turns out I've been circling this struggle since the 10th grade. In a literature class, my teacher asked "What did the author mean when he said ....?"
Let's all recognize I did not raise my hand, but when I was selected I answered with what I thought was a thoughtful response.
To which my teacher said "No - that's not what he's saying here."
It's *possible* I may have replied "Did you have lunch with him? Do know that for sure?"
At that point, I believe I was asked to leave the room. Because teachers in the 90s weren't a fan of being questioned.
While adult me knows I could have approached that conversation more respectfully - I still stand by the premise of my question.
How do we know for SURE what an author wants us to get from a passage?
Just because the author of the teacher guide, probably an English major in college, said it was "X" - was it?
And was it for EVERYONE?
We've removed the very thing that early educators knew worked.
The ability to ask questions.
To ponder, to wonder, to make space for connection.
By asserting that any one bible verse or story means ONE thing.......we've removed the Holy Spirit from the reading of the bible.
We've removed the ability of Jesus to connect to us.
We've chosen information over context.
Mama Warriors, I hope we are making space for kids who ask hard questions.
For kids who challenge the norm.
Could we not say Jesus was one of those kids? Asking hard questions? Challenging the norm?
Rather than absolutes, let's make space for "consider this."
Rather than alienating each other, let's make space for connections.
May be an image of text

No comments:

Post a Comment