Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Croutons

 "It's not that we want others to fail, but we need to know that our own sorrows have echoes in other people's lives. That's what connects us. Strength may be impressive, but it's vulnerability that builds friendships."

We woke up Sunday with one less hour.
I have not met a parent of a young child who likes either time change. Young people don't sleep an extra hour or go to bed an hour earlier. It just doesn't happen.
Instead you have this whole week of adjustment where you try to "find" this hour.
I'm reading this book on time management of sorts and it says that you don't need more time.
What you need is to become the master of the time you are given.
It gives these insane statistics for how long the average person spends on social media or watching TV - they would convict you. I promise.
As I stood in a funeral home Saturday, grieving for the loss of a dear friend, I was overwhelmed by her legacy.
Pictures were everywhere of her loving people well.
People traveled far to simple stand in a room and support her family because she would have wanted that.
She loved so well that others were compelled to love as well.
There is a gap now where she used to be.
She left a legacy of love.
I've been struggling this last week since her passing. Missing her. Thinking about my own lost hours. Wondering about my own legacy.
Last week my oldest friend (in terms of time!) brought me this bag of croutons. The week before we were chatting about our favorite snacks, and she suggested that I would probably enjoy snacking on croutons - they had all the crunch and less fat, sodium than chips.
Then she brought me a bag so I could try.
She stood in a grocery store and thought of me.
She didn't just support me with an IDEA, she supported me with an ACTION.
I've been thinking this week about how legacy is about ACTIONS.
It's being the people who not just suggest the IDEA but perform the ACTION.
Mama Warriors, as we continue this Lenten walk toward the Cross, toward the Ressurection, toward Easter, I challenge us to be a people of more than ideas.
A people of actions.
Jesus didn't JUST say "change would be good" or "those people are hungry" or "that poor guy is sick."
He didn't rest with the idea.
He moved into ACTION.
Loving people with thoughts and prayers are good.
Showing up with croutons is excellent.
May be an image of food and outdoors
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment