Monday, May 27, 2024

From, To

 "We must first be free FROM before we are free TO."

Over the Lenten season, I fasted from facebook for the 40 days. I chose to continue to post my pictures (because it's Peanut's baby book of sorts) but not scroll.
Create. Not consume.
About a week after Lent, a library book that I had put on hold in January finally came in.
"The 40-Day Social Media Fast: Exchange Your Online Distractions for Real-Life Devotion."
I thought - REALLY? I just fasted 40 days and now the book comes in?
I decided to just read the book without fasting.
40 days.
I felt like I had a pretty healthy relationship with social media. I try to avoid commenting or engaging in controversial topics. I try to embrace the cute growing babies, the beautiful garden blooms, and the sweet celebrations. And ignore the rest.
Over the 40 days though I began to notice things about phone usage. In others first - because isn't it always easiest to see the problem in someone else?
There's the women who I tried to talk to in the waiting room who could barely stop scrolling to say hi. There's the mom waiting in line for the play in front of me whose social media feed was more interesting than getting to know me. There's my own family who can't make it through a movie without checking their phones. Multiple times.
I began to track how many times in a day I reach for my phone.
I encourage you to try it. It's convicting.
I realized that the majority of us are addicted.
And addiction to anything isn't healthy.
I was filling a good chunk of my day with "quick" phone checks.
People are often surprised by how much I read. I will preface with saying I read purely for pleasure the majority of the time. So I will not remember the name of the book - and probably not much of the plot within a few months.
I cringe when people say "I don't have time to read."
We have time for what we make time for.
When Peanut began to read to herself, I made a steady commit that I would have books in all the places I sit and I would model a life of reading.
I started leaving my phone on the kitchen counter in it's "docking station" and if I sat in the living room, my bedroom, my dining room - I would read. I take books to appointments. Books to the park/pool. Books when I travel.
During Lent I doubled the amount of books I normally read. DOUBLED.
I don't think Jesus really cares whether or not I scroll a social media feed.
But I do think He cares about me having spiritual whitespace. Room to be silent and listen.
I think He cares about my mental health.
I think most of us if we really challenged ourselves would find that social media isn't the most life giving choice we can make with our time.
Or checking email. Or sending messages. Or playing games. Or whatever your phone activity of choice is.
I think if we were really honest with ourselves that the list of things that are life giving to us are not found on a screen.
Mama Warriors, as we go into summer, where many of us will be the model of a healthy balanced lifestyle our kids see.
I know my own kids are different creatures with lots of screen time. Behavior, attitude, sleep, activity choices - all different.
Should we consider that maybe we are different too?
Maybe if we anchored those devices to a charging station for the summer - maybe, we'd rediscover what brings us joy.
Maybe if we took a walk without our phones, we'd appreciate creation.
Maybe if we watched a movie without our phones, we'd be able to laugh and share our favorite moments.
Maybe we'd be really present.
Maybe we'd exchange addiction for intentional living.
May be an image of text that says 'Must Love Books SHAUNA ROB AMBER AND DANIELLE PROWN BRO MYSTER THE WEEKEND RETREAT THE LOngGAME AME NEW ENEH LAS ELENA AR ARE ARM UNTANGLE VOLD ΕΜΟΤΙΩΝς 三ッ X The RULE BO THE LIBRARY OF BORROWED HEARTS ALI4 SARA ADA 蛋 NEWE ミピミ ENEWE WAXMAN TK BOOKISH LIFE OF 의 WAX The NATURE FRAGILE THINGS S ME THE HEFOREST OF VANISHING STARS I 書 KRI HA 味 MISS MORGAN'S BOOK BRIGADE SUSAN MALLERY THE SUMMER BOOK A3 R시1키A 三M13NE'

No comments:

Post a Comment