Saturday, November 20, 2021

Nourish

 "Jesus didn't run projects, establish ministries, or put on events. He ate meals." (Tim Chester, A Meal With Jesus)

This past weekend we kicked off the holiday season with the first (of many) family gatherings.
There's nothing like parenting with an audience. Am I right?
For many of us, our toughest audience is our own family.
For some reason, at many gatherings, I feel like my parental worth is based on how my kids eat.
It seems that if your kids eat "well" then you are a good parent. If they don't, then you should have done parenting differently.
If you've dined with me, you know that I am an extremely picky eater. And that was pre-gastro madness. I'm now a severely limited eater and I rarely eat in public. I have raised 2 out of 3 picky eaters.
If you know me, you know that I have a HUGE soapbox about eating to nourish your body. I've tried to teach my own children that they know their body. They know when they are hungry. They should eat. They know when they are not. They don't have to. It's great to try new things, but it's okay if you don't want to. I never force my kids to eat.
It doesn't bother me that my kids are picky. Each of them eats healthy things - you just may not offer them to them. Each of them eats some rainbow colors - you may just not offer the one they like. Each of them, over the course of a week, eats "well." You just may not be present at the meal where that happens.
I share this with you, not in judgement of those who dine with me because they surely love me and my kids, but to share with you about what it really means when we gather around a table.
And because our speech at these gatherings is so often food focused, I just ask that you pause for a moment and hear your words through the lense of love.
We've been walking a sermon series at church about Jesus's table. About the lessons He taught us when he ate with others.
And I'm going to tell you - it's not about the food. It's not about who does or doesn't eat what. What was served or not served. Who brought what, or didn't. Or how it tasted.
It's about the conversation around the table.
It's about the CONNECTIONS.
It's about INVESTING in one another.
It's about being fully PRESENT to one another.
So as you gather at tables this week with others, I challenge you to think beyond the food.
You may dine with people with food association issues. You may dine with people with eating disorders. You may dine with people struggling with making healthier choices. You may dine with people struggling with a gastro disorder. You may dine with people who love to eat, and those who don't. You may dine with people making self deprecating comments because they are unhappy with their weight, or feel judged by what they put on their plate.
I'm going to guess you'll dine with at least one of those and you won't know it.
Enjoy your meal. Food is meant to nourish our body.
But the time around the table with those we love, is meant to nourish our SOUL.
Let's love one another well.
Let's speak from love and not judgement.
Let's think about how the comments about how fat we feel or how our jeans won't fit are filtered through others lenses. Let's think about how our kids hear those comments and what it tells them about the connection between eating and their self esteem. Let's think about how what we say influences the body image of someone else.
"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." John 13:35
Mama Warriors, maybe your kids will eat well this week but will not sit in their chair. Maybe your kids will struggle with communicating with relatives they don't see that often. Maybe they won't want to share their favorite toy when you host a meal. Maybe they will roll their eyes when you remind them to put their phone away.
Remember this glimpse into your child does not define you or them.
This glimpse your relatives get this week, is just that - a glimpse. A blip.
You are defined by Him. And He sees you pouring into them every day. Nourishing their bodies, minds, and souls.
You are worthy.
No matter what happens Thursday 🙂

No comments:

Post a Comment