Thursday, November 11, 2021

Value

 "To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing." Martin Luther

Training the dog has somehow become my full time job.
Every. Single. Thing. requires training.
Behaviors you want.
Behaviors you don't want.
I've watched countless dog training videos. I've read 3 dog training books.
They all emphasize the same first step.
YOU have to become more valuable to the dog than anything else. They have to associate ALL things of value from YOU.
You start by gifting treats at wanted behaviors.
"Sit." "Yes." Treat.
"Stay." "Yes." Treat
"Out" "Yes" Treat
"Bed" "Yes" Treat
They suggest that 2/3rds of a dogs diet be hand fed by the trainer so they learn that the key to being nourished lies in doing what YOU (the trainer) wants. With each sit, stay, out, bed, etc. they earn a piece of kibble thus learning that you have the thing of valuable.
And then transition to the idea that YOU are the valuable factor. Then they sit because YOU asked them to. For your attention, your affection, etc.
Mo is pretty good at obeying my commands within my house.
No new distractions.
He knows if I ask him to do something, good things come. He sits, he gets a treat or a good cuddle. He comes when I call him, same. He goes to bed happily, he definitely gets a good treat. Mama likes children who sleep.
However, the moment we leave my yard all bets are off.
Mo pulls something fierce on a leash. He does not sit, come or stay with any kind of regularity outside our home.
Outside our home, he does not value ME over all the new things.
The smells. The new areas to investigate. The litter to pick up and try to eat.
Those things trump my treats almost every time.
Because each time we leave the house, even though often the route is the same, the smells are new.
He loses sight of what is valuable to him.
He shifts with the world.
What HE wants takes precedent over what I want. What he knows is right.
As Mo dragged me a mile around our neighborhood this afternoon, I started to think about this idea of holding on to what's valuable. To tuning in to that always, first.
I thought Mo and I have that in common.
When my routine is good, when things are calm, I am steadfast. I read my devotions. I diligently pray. I serve those in my path. I remember who I find value in.
However, when the ship rocks, I am easily distracted.
I google before I pray.
I complain before I praise.
I look inward before I look upward.
Mama Warriors, it's easy to shift value to what we want rather than what He wants.
It's a slow slippery slope.
As we enter this season of thankfulness, let's all remember where the real treat comes from.
May be an image of dog and outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment