Friday, August 26, 2022

Alright, Alright, Alright

 "The antidote to overthinking isn't more thinking - the antidote is ACTION."

I feel like my daily life is written by the author of the "If you Give a Mouse a Cookie" series.
Last week I went deep diving into this closet looking for something I was sure we owned.
Our home has one linen closet to house ALL the things for 5 people's bedroom and bathroom. One linen closet for 2 bathrooms. The math is bad.
I pulled everything out of this closet.
By the end, I had decided it wasn't all going back in. I put a few things in the "dog box" for bathing/crating the dog. I put a few more things in other locations. I put the most things in the back of my car to donate.
As I did this chore, I played the same soundtrack I've been playing for 20 years.
"I'm not organized."
"I'm not good at housekeeping."
"A better wife/mother would be able to keep up with ALL the things and find them."
I finished clearing out the closet. Grabbed baskets from a few places and declared that things now have a home.
And as a bonus, found the item I was looking for.
As I keep returning to this closet over the last week, I realized that the story I tell myself isn't true.
This closet is proof.
I am organized.
I can do housekeeping.
I am a "good enough" wife and mother.
The soundtrack I play in my mind colors my days, my decisions and my experiences.
I'm the only one who can play a different soundtrack.
My latest read suggests if I want to stop overthinking things I have to change my own soundtrack.
Select a better playlist.
I got out a spiral notebook this week and I'm writing it down.
I am organized.
I am able to house keep. (is that thing?)
I am a good enough wife/mother.
I'm also writing down soundtracks I hear that inspire me (at this author's suggestion) . Soundtracks that make me smile.
Maybe my new soundtrack might be "Alright, Alright, Alright."
Mama Warriors, if we want to capture our thoughts I challenge you to chose your soundtrack.
Flip the script.
Speak to yourself as if you were your own best friend.
Alright, alright, alright.
May be an image of indoor

No comments:

Post a Comment