Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Commercial Break

 "The greatest spiritual practice is just showing up. Showing up means being present to what is real, what is actually happening. Mary Magdalene didn't necessarily know what to say or what to do or even what to think when she encountered the risen Jesus. But none of that was nearly as important as the fact that she was present and attentive to him."

Most nights we watch Jeopardy as a family while we eat dinner. We tape it so Jeopardy is available whenever we are able to gather for dinner.
Peanut and I pick our people after the first question. We pledge allegiance. We are team "whoever."
SD never picks his person until after the first commercial break.
Now if you aren't a regular Jeopardy watcher, after the first commercial break is when you officially meet the contestants. The host introduces each one and they share some random fact about themselves.
You find out who has what animal, who writes Shakespeare plays in the form of Star Wars action, or who loves their mother (they are always my favorite).
SD bases his allegiance based on the interaction between the host and the contestant.
He waits for the connection.
Peanut and I have been visiting different churches over the last month.
I realized I'm quick to say "these are not my people" after the first question.
As the band sings its first song, I've already decided how at "home" I feel.
I've chosen my contestant before the first commercial break.
I haven't waited for the introductions. For the random facts.
For the connection.
Each time I take Peanut to the park, I've realized how we've become a community that doesn't linger for the commercial break.
I compete with cell phones each time I try to engage and be present with those around me.
Mama Warriors, I challenge us as the new school year begins, to become people who stay. Who engage with those around us.
To be people who make space for the opportunities He gifts us to be listeners, encouragers, advocators, and supporters of those around us.
Let's be people who linger past the first commercial break.
Let's look for connections.
May be an image of text that says 'IN 1994 WIRED MAGAZINE DESCRIBED THIS 4-LETTER WORD AS AN IDEA LEAPING "FROM MIND TO MIND... AS VIRUSES LEAP FROM BODY TO BODY"'

No comments:

Post a Comment