Saturday, August 13, 2022

Loose Leash Walking

 "The movement in our relationship to God is always from God TO us. Always. We can't through piety or goodness move closer to God. God is always coming near to us. Most especially in the Eucharist and in the stranger."

I have been attempting to walk Mo Trouble every morning for about six weeks now.
It always goes the same way. I stand at the "spot" in our home where I put his harness on for a solid 10 minutes while he has zoomies so excited about the possibility of the walk that he can't sit still for the harness.
We get to the gate and I stand 2-3 minutes waiting for him to sit so I can put his leash onto his harness. Again, Mo Trouble is too excited to get to the walk to get the leash on.
From the moment I open the gate, it's a full on sprint around the neighborhood.
It's not a walk. It's a race. With some sniffing along the way.
Over the last week, I've developed tension between my neck and my shoulder from trying to hold onto his fast paced 40ish pounds full motion self.
I've tripped, stumbled, fallen - all while trying to "walk" the dog.
Ever the researcher, I've done a lot of research on "loose leash walking" and have learned that there are two types of walks with a dog.
The walk that is for the DOG where you let them lead- all the sniffing, all the pulling, all the running. The walk is about letting the DOG explore the world.
Then there is the walk for the PERSON. In order to achieve this walk, there are hours upon hours of training involved. For weeks you may never leave your driveway. If they pull, you stop. You decide the pace. You decide the direction.
I definitely want to train Mo Trouble to do this person walk but for now I've accepted that we are dog walking. He wakes with much excitement for the day. And we both just need to clear our heads before jumping into the "to do" list.
Neither of us want to spend the walk time on the driveway.
As Mo Trouble pulled me through shrubbery and low hanging limbs this morning, I got to thinking about how a walk led by him is often uncomfortable for me.
His will is so strong, so forceful. Even though I'm showing him the "right" way, he's still going where the distraction leads.
By the time we get home, he's full blown spent. Panting. Can't eat because he'll throw up. Mess.
I was thinking this morning that walking Mo is much like my walk with Jesus.
He has gifted me free will. I can pull the leash and run after every distraction. And I often do.
When I lead the way, I'm always exhausted and spent. Stressed.
But if I relax and lean in, I can just follow the lead.
I don't need to chase every distraction. I know where I'm supposed to be.
Mama Warriors, I find that back to school time comes with ALL the distractions.
Many good options and activities to chose from.
Lots of things to sniff.
If we will take a breath and a prayer before committing, I think we will find that He wants us to have margin. White space.
Room to let the leash fall loose and enjoy the walk.
May be an image of dog and outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment