Sunday, August 28, 2022

Jurassic Park

 "Pivot, don't panic."

This week Xman and I sat down with his high school counselor for his senior conference.
I'll be honest. My main original goal of the conference was just to hear her say "He WILL graduate in May. It's happening."
After being handed the piece of paper with the list of the credits needed, and knowing he's enrolled in classes to get those credits, I sat back in my chair. Deep exhale.
She began to go through a questionnaire asking Xman to reflect about where he's been, think about where he's at, and ponder where he might be in the future.
While I already felt confident about his responses to most questions, it was still an insightful moment for me. Might have been a little teary to hear his specifics. So well spoken. So well thought out. So respectful of everyone in the room.
I listened as he shared his strengths, his weaknesses, his goals and his dreams.
"So Mom, now I'm going to ask you - what do you see as his strengths?"
Wait - MOM?
It didn't take me long to answer. You see Xman's biggest strengths are the 3 things that have made parenting him a roller coaster rather than a carousel. Jurassic Park rather than Disney World. A hard fought game rather than an easy win.
One. He's passionate. NOTHING gets in his way. If he sets a goal, consider it reached. You can either help him get there or get out of his way because he isn't easily detoured.
Two. He's a leader. He's the kid that gets his first job at 15 and within two weeks is the farm manager. His work ethic is unsurpassed. He's going places and eager to take you with him.
Three. He'll leave the 99 to chase the 1 in a heartbeat. He picks up the kid for church in the neighborhood I'd rather he never be in. Not once, but as many times as it takes. He stops and helps whoever needs it. That little "What would Jesus do" bracelet he sports now and then? He takes it seriously.
Shepherding a kid whose passionate, a leader and chasing the 1 is no easy task.
As I said these things aloud in his conference, I wondered do I say these things enough to him?
Do I pour into him with encouragement and praise ENOUGH?
Do I speak truth to him that is uplifting?
Mama Warriors, maybe you, like me, see little of your emerging adults.
So when we see them, we have to tell them all the things.
Go to the dentist. Turn in the assignment. Check the oil in the car. Clean up the mess in the bathroom. Put the dog inside when you wake up. Where are you? When are you coming home?
ALL. THE. THINGS.
Trust me. Someone is, or will be, saying the encouraging things to your kid.
And then voice will be louder than your nagging one.
If we want to earn the space to speak truth in our kids hearts and lives, we have to make sure the overwhelming message they hear from us is that they are loved.
Unconditionally, fiercely, and crazy loved.
And why.
May be an image of 1 person, standing and outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment