Sunday, August 14, 2022

Skirt Liner

 "Somewhere along the way Christianity became less "Love your neighbor" and more "Make sure you believe the right things." A good starting point is thinking about faith more like a verb and less like a noun."

As Peanut and I are visiting churches, I've found that my supply of "Sunday clothes" is extremely limited. A few weeks ago I put this skirt on.
Within minutes of zipping it, I determined there was no way I was worshipping Jesus in that thing. I could barely breathe, much less move.
The frustrating thing is that the waist of the skirt fits fine.
Under the skirt there is this liner that has two be two sizes smaller than the exterior skirt.
It's tight, unforgiving and totally not me.
I took the skirt off, and tossed it aside. Over the course of the week though I got to thinking "Could I just cut the liner out of the skirt?"
Is there a reason this restrictive thing exists?
This morning I pulled out my scissors and figured I had nothing to lose. I can't wear the skirt as is so I either make it wearable or make it trashable - either was fine.
I took my scissors and cut the liner on both sides so that it is as free flowing as the exterior of the skirt.
And viola - new church skirt for me.
As I stood barefoot and flowy in church this morning, I got to thinking how we often put ourselves in a tight, restraining liner.
We let the negative voice in our head, and others, tell us we aren't meant for this full flowy life.
I call bullcrap. (if you really know me, I call something else but fb tends to like me to use "clean" words)
You, and I, are made for full flowy skirt living.
We've let the world, and ourselves, tell us we are "too much" when we are exactly the right amount of much.
Mama Warriors, my Jesus never intended for us to feel like "right living" is some set of restrictive, skirt lining rules.
My Jesus doesn't care if you sing too loud in church, or if you are one of those crazy hand raising fools (like me, yes like me).
My Jesus doesn't care if you are asking the BIG questions, wrestling with the Word and causing an uproar now and then. I mean he was a man known for flipping tables himself.
What I think He does care about is you being truly and authentically who He created you to be.
Full flowy skirt and all.
(and yes that picture is a nod to my children who seem to think you can't take a picture without making some weird hand gesture)
May be an image of 1 person, standing and outdoors

No comments:

Post a Comment