Monday, August 5, 2024

I Choose Us Jack

 "I know we could both go on with our lives and we'd both be fine, but I've seen what we could be like together. And I choose us." The Family Man

Recently we had some bonus kids stay with us for a few weeks.
One morning (well, their morning - so like noonish) - as they sat and ate breakfast, one of them asked me how SD and I met.
As I told a story our own kids know well (as do most of you), I realized it does read like some kind of Hallmark movie.
They "oohed" and "awwwed" at all the right places.
I think in all good marriages there are times when things go well.
And then in all good marriages, there are times when you aren't sure you'll make it.
In our home, it seems to come in cycles.
Over the last month, we've endured a lot of change.
As we talked through SD choosing this new job, I felt very much like Kate in my all time favorite Christmas movie. Family Man.
Toward the end of the movie, the main character Jack is presented with a decision that will change things for his family. Kate is not sure. But she says to him,
" If you need this, Jack, if you really need this........ I'll do that because I love you. I love you, and that's more important to me ....... I choose us."
Over the last month as I've navigated new hours, new benefits, new, new, new........I keep repeating "I choose us."
That's what marriage is right?
It's saying "I choose us" over and over and over again.
It's waking up each day reminding ourselves that it's not about me or him - it's about us. And I choose us.
It's saying "I love you and that's more important than......"
As Peanut and I read our devotion reads this morning, I made a note in my journal "I choose us."
It serves as a good reminder to me that my relationship with Jesus is just that.........a relationship.
There are times when it goes well.
And there are times, if I'm honest, when I'm not sure we'll make it.
Mama Warriors, its possible things are about to be hectic for you.
ALL the things are starting back up.
The calendar's white space is shrinking by the day.
Maybe you need to make a note "I choose us."
To remind yourself that the most important thing to you are relationships.
Maybe think about what that looks like day to day.
How do we say "I choose us" to our partner?
How do we say "I choose us" to Jesus?
How do we honor that Jesus says to us "I've seen what we could be like together?"
May be an image of 2 people and people smiling

No comments:

Post a Comment