Sunday, April 4, 2021

Unexpected

 "Am I allowing light to do what light does best - to warm, fill and lift?

Am I allowing the darkness to do what darkness does best - cover, protect, and grow?
God declares his glory in the light, BUT first he forms new life in the dark, bringing it to the surface in his own time and in his own way."
Our morning got off to a VERY rocky start.
I woke long before Peanut and decided to go ahead and get up, make tea, and sit for a bit.
Peanut woke early, went looking for me in my bed, and when she didn't find me there, she went into full meltdown mode.
You see, every holiday, I lay in my bed until she wakes up. I'm always up before her. But the coming into the living room together is a tradition.
She kept crying repeating "I just want family Easter back."
Peanut is not a fan of the unexpected.
I've been thinking today about how for some Easter is the story of the unexpected.
Finding an empty tomb.
Seeing a crucified Jesus very much alive.
Peanut and I went for a walk to regroup this morning. Fresh air and a change of scenery are good for the soul.
On our walk we saw an elderly gentleman neighbor of ours standing by his car.
He wore his best suspenders, obviously dressed for Easter.
He stood by the car, waiting. Alone.
I watched him patiently wait as I made several laps around his street.
He never looked upset.
He never went back inside, or yelled, or even sat down in one of the rocking chairs nearby.
You see, he was waiting on a woman. (don't you now feel like singing?)
He knew she was coming.
When the time was right.
It wasn't unexpected to him when she later showed up.
She said she was coming, and while it wasn't in his timing, she came.
“Jesus said to them, ‘The Son of Man is about to be delivered into the hands of men, and they will kill him, and he will be raised on the third day’” (vv. 22–23).
- Matthew 17:22–23
The Ressurection was unexpected for some but it shouldn't have been.
He said He would be raised on the 3rd day.
Yet so few were standing by the tomb waiting patiently?
So many were suprised upon seeing him.
I wonder how often I place things in the unexpected category when really they are expected?
This Lenten season I've felt this sense of heaviness, darkness.
I began to wonder as I watched our elderly neighbor wait this morning, have I been thankful for the darkness?
For the covering, for the protecting God has done for me?
Am I growing in this season of darkness?
Have I been patient in the wait?
Have I been expecting him to show up?
Or will it be unexpected when it does happen?
Mama Warriors, on this beautiful Easter day, I encourage you to step outside in the light and take a deep breath.
Let His light warm you, fill you and lift you.
May be an image of road and tree

No comments:

Post a Comment