Thursday, October 28, 2021

Bark and Cry

     At 1:30 AM, I heard Mo whining.

As I am the only person in my house who hears dogs or children awake in the night, I decided to give him a bit and see if he would resettle. Often if a teenager gets a drink or goes to the bathroom, the dog will think it's morning but then realize it's not.
The whining turned to incessant barking. Which then got louder.
I found my glasses and my slippers (because I'm an old lady now) and went to investigate.
I let Mo out of his crate and he started freaking out at our back door. Out he went.
Barking and carrying on (you're welcome neighbors, especially you cat lady who has been annoying us for decades......).
Turns out there was a possum in my backyard.
Now, Mo is still a 5 month old baby and has not seen a possum.
He was torn. Should I cry? Should I bark?
So for a half hour he did both while I unsuccessfully called "Come."
The possum decided it's safest bet was to play dead.
I chased Mo, Mo cried and barked.
Eventually, Mo looked at me in that "What do we do Mommy way?" I looked at Mo and said "Baby it's okay. Let's go IN."
He came in, gave me big kisses, needed lots of water after all that crying and barking, and went right back to bed. Slept until this morning.
I laid there awake (because that's a lot of activity at 2 AM) and thought "all that sweet baby needed was for him to tell me he was upset by this, and me to reassure him that it was okay."
Then he let it go.
He figured I know what I'm doing.
So much so he laid right down and went right back to sleep.
I have a lot to learn from this dog it seems.
So many times I lay all the worries down at the feet of the Cross, only to stay up half the night mentally walking back through them.
No peace. No sleep.
Maybe, when we say those prayers, Jesus says "Baby I hear you. It's okay."
Mama Warriors, maybe you, like me, can't decide if we should cry or yell.
Maybe you just want someone to understand the burden. The fear.
He hears you.
You can bark and you can cry.
Baby he's got this. It's okay. You can rest.
No photo description available.

No comments:

Post a Comment