Sunday, October 10, 2021

Loose Leash Walking

 "Legacy isn't what you leave for your kids. It's what you leave IN your kids."

Mo Trouble and I go on 2 - 3 walks a day. We've tried multiple collars and harnesses, various training techniques, and basically Mo pulls me around the neighborhood. At least once per walk I trip. At least once per walk I nearly fall down because he jerks in a new direction suddenly. At the end of every walk, my arm is tired and I can't catch my breath (that last one may just be that I'm out of shape).
Yesterday he picked up this gatorade bottle a few steps from my driveway (where there is a bus stop with kids who don't clean up after themselves). He typically drops things pretty quickly because he gets interested in something else, so I decided not to fight him over it. The new rule is if he can't choke on it or swallow it, he gets to keep it. Mama is tired of playing tug.
As Father Mike read me the bible, and I walked up the large hill in our neighborhood, I realized that Mo's leash was loose. The ultimate goal in leash training is a loose leash. I praised him "Yes" and gave him treats and we kept walking.
We walked a full mile with no pulling on the leash. You see it seems that if you have something in your mouth, you can't pant and gag, so you can't pull the on leash. Who knew?
He already had something valuable to him so he didn't need to search the neighborhood for other trash dragging me along with him.
He held on to that bottle the entire walk. Never dropped it. It's currently buried in his spot in my back yard.
I was thinking about how nice that walk must have been for him. Not gasping or choking or gagging. Strolling along at a leisurely pace for him. Me saying "yes" and praising him the entire walk.
Holding on to what is important, not letting go or being distracted by anything else, makes for a better walk.
Eyes out looking ahead rather than looking all around makes for a better view.
As I sit with coffee and a sermon this morning, I am thinking about my own daily walk.
How I often forget to pick up Jesus and hold on tight all day.
How sometimes I drop Him and start frantically expecting the world to fill that valuable spot in my heart, in my day.
And how that walk feels anxious like I'm gasping for air.
Mama Warriors, as many of us go into fall break this week (though the temps may not cooperate), I encourage you to hold on to what is valuable. Keep your eyes forward. Don't be distracted by the less valuable stuff scattered on the ground.
Lean in this week with a little more space for breathing and loosen the leash.
Give up control and just be led.
May be an image of dog

No comments:

Post a Comment