Thursday, December 22, 2022

Christmas Is an Inside Job

 "Preparing for Christmas is an INSIDE job this year."

Last week, amongst the chaos, the strand of lights in the middle of the tree went out. Brand new lights. Just threw the box away.
For a few days they flickered.
Peanut : Mommy did we buy flashing lights for our tree?
Nope.
Then they went totally out.
Each time I walk past this tree, I think "SAME tree. SAME."
My head is in Christmas mode. The top of me. I'm making the lists, thinking about all the things, checking off all the boxes.
My feet are in Christmas mode. The bottom of me. I'm doing the things. Wrapping the gifts. Creating the magic. Attempting the family fun.
Somewhere in the middle, I'm not feeling Christmas.
Somewhere in my heart, the Christmas lights are flickering.
I listened to a sermon this morning that talked about how usually we have OUTSIDE sources to ready us for Christmas. We gather with friends and family. We attend advent services. We busy ourselves with traditions.
This year, for me, and many, Christmas is an INSIDE job.
It's up to me to "let every Heart prepare Him room."
If I want to RECEIVE the joy of Christmas this year, I'm going to have to make some space for Christmas in my heart.
I'm going to have to be responsible for keeping my own Christmas lights on.
I've been reading and seeking how you prepare Him room in a tough season.
" Thomas Kinkade answers the question, “How do we prepare Him room?”
“By cleaning out our inner lives, deliberately putting away the resentments and the distractions that clutter our hearts and minds, and by giving a priority to forgiveness and reconciliation in this season of relationships. By rearranging our obligations to make sure there’s room for prayer and reflection in the midst of all the busyness. By decorating our hearts with thoughts and attitudes that are worthy to welcome a king – love and joy and peace – and by decorating our lives with loving deeds."
Cleaning out.
Making space in our day for prayer
Checking our heart attitude - looking INSIDE
Loving deeds- looking OUTSIDE
At that first Christmas God showed up BIG for those who made space in their heart for Him.
I firmly believe that He wants to do the same for you and for me.
Mama Warriors, last night I dragged 2 of my 3 somewhat willing children out to see the "Christmas Star."
Whether we saw it or not, really isn't the bottom line.
We went searching.
We were available.
We were willing.
We showed up.
This week, I challenge you to prepare Him room by searching, being available, being willing, and showing up.
Christmas 2020 is an INSIDE job.
But shouldn't it be every year?
Shouldn't we own our own part in preparing our heart for Christmas?
Search.
Be available.
Be willing.
Show up.

Published December 2020
No photo description available.

No comments:

Post a Comment