Thursday, February 11, 2021

Divine Disruption

 "Ask your challenges - What have you come to teach me? "

Today I had the privilege of subbing in a small math class.
I *may* have worn my dorky math valentine's t-shirt with pride.
During the last 5 minutes of class, I put up a few review problems from the day's lessons and asked the students to practice.



One of my students heard "last 5 minutes" and went ahead and packed up.
Put their books, notes, and pencil away.
Prepared to leave.
Did not do the review.
The thing is - the review was the opportunity to put their new skills into practice. An opportunity to take home some completed problems to use as a guide.
An opportunity to APPLY what they've learned.
As I was sharing this on my drive home today (and reminding my own children that we work until the TEACHER says the class is over, not the clock), I was thinking about this idea of giving up before you've had a chance to reap the benefits of what you have learned.
Sometimes the teacher lets you quit and you just miss the opportunity to apply what you've learned.
But other times, the teacher says "Um, nope. This isn't how my class goes."
I wonder how often we abort the mission just before the opportunity to apply what we've learned?
How often do we pack up before the teacher is done?
Mama Warriors, this morning I listened to a sermon about Moses and the burning bush.
God answers not the question Moses asks but the question he SHOULD have asked.
Moses asks "Who am I?"
God answers "I will be with you."
That's all we need to know - God is with us and for us.
The teacher is teaching bell to bell.
We may be packing up before the lesson is over.
And thus missing the opportunity to apply what we've learned, to reap the rewards of knowledge.
Leave your paper and pencil out.
A preacher calls this upheaval in our country a "divine disruption" - and challenged that until we GET the lesson the teacher is teaching, we can expect the instruction to continue.
Ask this challenge- what are you teaching me?

No comments:

Post a Comment