Friday, February 26, 2021

Driveway

 "What if, instead of fearing what might be taken from us, we decide that everything lost makes us more complete, not less?"

Our driveway is a beast. With the slope, when you are coming up the driveway you can't see the top. And in reverse, when you are going down, there is an area in the "dip" that you can't see.
I have had a firm "no teenage drivers" on our driveway rule.
I suggest when adults drive our kids home that they not come all the way up. My kids are healthy. They can all walk up the driveway. Even in the rain.
At the bottom of the driveway we have a basketball goal and a mailbox - and a ditch on both sides of the driveway that are a large drop off. I won't discuss the number of times someone has hit the basketball goal or the mailbox. Or run off the driveway.
When our own kids started driving and navigating the driveway, the one firm rule is that you have to know where Peanut is BEFORE you move a car.
If you are coming home, you let me know and I will be responsible for knowing where she is when you pull in.
If you are pulling out, YOU are responsible for putting your eyes on her and telling her you are driving and that she has to stay inside.
You don't drive on my driveway unless you know where Peanut is.
As I was sitting outside this week watching Peanut play in the yard so the Xman could park after baseball practice, I got to thinking of this idea of knowing before you move.
We are a few weeks out from Peanut's 8th birthday.
Which always comes for me as a reminder of the beginning of my health struggles. 11 days after she was born was when my gastro madness first reared its ugly head.
I went from being very over committed and way too busy (with a badge of pride from that) to being still.
Like sit on my couch more hours than not still.
Which may be why I rode the first few months of the pandemic like a ride on a caroseul.
I'm familiar with God staying "Sit down and stay put. Wait for me."
What if we all waited until we knew where God was before we moved?
Sometimes I think we don't give enough time for God to answer us.
Who are we to give Him a time table?
I've learned to say "I can't commit to that right now." Or "I'm not ready to decide."
If you don't have peace with a decision, you haven't heard from God.
And therefore, you shouldn't be driving the car.
Mama Warriors, I think sometimes we just keep driving on the driveway out of habit.
We don't stop and make sure we know where God wants us to be before putting the car into drive.
We google, we ask others opinion, we over think.
But we don't wait.
As we journey to the cross this season of Lent, I encourage you to become comfortable being still and waiting.
Don't drive until you know where He wants you to go.
May be an image of grass, nature, road and tree
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment