Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Change Me

"I now know the space between a person doing his or her best to deliver a message  of good news and the needy listener is holy ground." 

Yesterday Peanut and I spent the morning in our small town downtown area. While we have been OUTSIDE a lot over the last 90 days,and have encountered people with whom we've waved and smiled at, yesterday was the first time we lingered with other folks.

As I waited for her to glaze her art piece,I stepped outside so there would be less people in the building. 

As I did so,I encountered a few others visiting and waiting as well. 

Staying six feet apart, I said "hello." I tried 3 separate times to join their conversation. Once I asked a question and was met with a quick answer, then they returned to "their" conversation. Twice I offered,what I thought, was a pertinent and engaging comment.

These two people continued "their" conversation as I continued to stand there.Obviously not included or welcome. 

I very much felt like a high schooler again,holding a lunch tray,with nowhere to sit. Eventually I quit going to the lunch room. 

While these people shared how "Christian" they were in a competing conversation, they did not exhibit the core of Christianity. 

Love people. 

I've had a stack of books on hold for months at the library. Last week I picked up this book about the life of Mr. Rogers.The timing of my holds arriving is always fitting.

I read somewhere that what you get out of a book depends entirely on what YOU bring to the book. 

I thought I'd read this book to help me process the craziness of the world right now. Remind of HOPE. 

This book has reminded of the message I keep circling back to.

"Search ME."

There are countless examples in this book of Mr. Rogers really listening to people with a HUMBLE heart. And then changing HIS behavior to reach them. Or in response  to them. 

As I read, I realized how much that small moment yesterday really bothered me. 

It really bothers me not because I need to be accepted or included by these specific people. 

But because I still struggle with controversy. Not wanting to have the hard conversations with people who are close to me because I fear it will be the last conversation. 

And because I've been wounded by  years of the lunch tray situation in school, to church wounds, to family wounds. To being reminded, consistently, that not everyone will love me "just the way I am."

In truth, and being angry, that the small church (c) represents Jesus poorly time and time again. Causing people to question the big Church (C). 

Mama Warriors, my kids make serious fun of me. Because I talk to EVERYONE. 

The people in the line at the post office. The joggers who pass us at the park. The people sitting in the waiting room with us. 

If I meet you on the aisle of shame at Aldi,just accept we're going to be nerd friends. 

If God puts YOU in my path, I want to make sure you feel seen, heard, valued and loved. 

It's important to me. 

If we want our children to be INCLUSIVE, it begins with us. 

Do we openly love and include ALL the people God puts in our path?

I firmly believe that the BIG comes from the small. When we scoop that solo mama at the park into our group - even if she didn't come with "us", we show our kids, we leave NO ONE out. 

When our mail carrier, UPS delivery employee, neighbor - when these people feel welcome and valued, we send a message to our children.

We can't just say "love everyone," we have to show them what that looks like. 

We have to make sure there is no one standing near us with a lunch tray and no where to sit. 

We don't wait for the lonely and struggling to ask to sit down - we approach them and we invite. 

We tell Jesus "Search me." And we listen. 

For me today that means that I recognize there are people in my life currently holding lunch trays that are too full. So, not only do I need to invite but I need to figure out ways to help others carry their burdens. 

Search me. 

The conversation is no longer about some stranger who didn't want to be my friend, it's about what that incident teaches ME.

Search me. 

Show ME. 

Change Me. 

If you want to change the world, I challenge you that the work begins within YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment